Monday, August 9, 2010

Domestic Goddess?

I can cook.

Just.

I used to be an awesome cook much to my parents delight. There was always a supply of cake or muffins and at 12 I could easily do a full roast dinner, veg and yorkshire pud and all! I used to do a lot of it when I wasn't feeling great and had my cranky pants on. And none of this packet crap, all from scratch!! You could tell my mood by what I cooked if at all. If all was fine and dandy, the oven was cold. If I was feeling depressed or upset or angry etc.... The mixer would be begging to be left alone in the cupboard. Not that I would eat what I cooked, I had a few issues early teenhood and looking at me now and my lifestyle, I have changed so much.

When Grandad passed, I baked. I baked three full tiers of cupcakes, 8 sheets of pastry were turned into savoury bits, 2 roasts, a cake and white coconut rough slice. I dont know why, cooking just lets me focus on one thing, it doesn't matter what is going on away from the kitchen or on things I have no control over because I do in the kitchen.

When I cook for fun, like when I made H2B his favourite Pecan Pie or some Pork Pies as a treat for our Dads (gotta love the english ancestory) it's hard. And things burn.

Alot.

Anyway, on Saturday, I hobbled around the shops and stopped at Boffins Books and just wandered about looking and came across the cooking section. I never was a fan of Nigella, the melon skit I saw on a comedy show just kinda put me off but a couple months ago I made her Roasted Pork Belly and loved it. It was easy to follow and no burning. So I've since converted and think she is awesome. I was looking at her books and a few others and have decided I am going to buy them all by the end of this year and next year, my aim is become a Domestic Goddess.

Not to cliche sounding is it?

As a wife, I want to maintain my independant ways, I am not going to sit at home as a housewife. But inside, isn't there just that little inch of desire to be just a little Stepford? To cook the meals your friends rave about for months after, to throw dinner parties and keep house? I will keep working full time until we do have kids, and then I will return to work. That tiny inch of desire is wanting that Domestic Goddess in me to come out.

I don't think it's a matter of doing and having it all. I want a simple life, I don't want to be a CEO or anything as extreme as that career wise. I would like to own my own business, and am currently looking into my study options and trying a short course in Interior Design and Decorating. Simple yes. Boring and Basic, no.

More and more and I have been thinking about after the wedding.

I want to be the best wife I can be and not loose that sense of myself.

We've been together for 7 years, he knows who I am and I know who he is and now with the wedding we are showing everyone else that we are an US. It shouldnt make that much difference, it's just a piece of paper but somehow I feel it does. It makes things more official and final. We are married. We are joined. I promise myself to him and he has promised his self to me.
For Better or Worse.

After 7 years, 2 properties and a pup called Ella later it would seem we are already quite joined.

Do you think the bit of paper matters??

Does this even make any sense to anyone but me?!

No comments:

Post a Comment